Auckland Grammar School's Premier Basketball Team has been ranked in the top ten at the National Secondary Schools Tournament for the last ten years consecutively.
Recent alumni who have been studying and playing at American universities include:
- Takiula Fahrensohn '12 (Portland)
- Conor Flanagan '12 (West Florida)
- Thomas Whyte '13 (Assumption College)
- Anzac Rissetto '14 (Charlotte, North Carolina)
NZ age group representative coaches, Dave Mackay, Lindsay Tait and Angela Perrott-Hunt, are responsible for coaching the Premier Team, as well as strengthening the basketball base by developing the skills of junior players. The Junior Premier Basketball Team won the Auckland Junior Championship in back-to-back seasons in 2018 and 2019.
Our teams compete in the Auckland Secondary Schools competition administered by College Sport, at Premier, Open A, Under 17 and Junior levels.
Trials are held during weeks 9 and 10 of Term 1 for competitive teams. A preliminary trial is held earlier for the Premier Team and the Junior Premier Team.
There will be at least one after school or before school practice for each competitive team.
During Terms 2 and 3, games are played after school / evenings on Wednesday (Junior and Open A), Thursday (Under 17) and Friday (Premier).
There is an intra-school competition for social players. There are no trials and no practices for Social Basketball. Students create their own teams and enter by registering online. Social basketball is on Friday after school.
A fee will be charged to the parent portal to cover the cost of registration to College Sport and equipment. Uniforms (singlets and shorts) must be purchased from the School shop.
Notices regarding trials, practice times, games and results will be read out in assembly and posted on the Basketball noticeboard outside the Sports’ Centre.
The Teacher in Charge of Basketball is Mrs Birtwistle. Students are able to speak to her in the SCT office in the Old Gymnasium during the School day or contact her via email.
- All trials will be held in the Sports Centre beginning at 3.30pm.
- Only registered players will be allowed to trial.
- Registrations may be completed online by going to the Basketball page, through the Sports portal on the School website.
- Players must have the correct attire, including appropriate footwear, to take part in a trial.
- See Mrs Birtwistle, in the SCT office in the Old Gymnasium, to discuss any issues